Thursday, March 31, 2011

0.00617

You may be thinking to yourself, "Self, what the heck does the title of David Kaplan's article even mean? I didn't know he could do math?"

Well I, David Kaplan, will tell you what it means. .00617 is the number you get when you divide 1 by 162. One day, one game, out of 162. And what a day it was.

The game that sticks out to me is obviously the one with the walk-off home run. That loss for the Brewers is obviously not the way you want to start a season, but what you saw from the Brewers in innings 1 thru 8 is what you can expect to see the whole season. Axford blew the game, but I think he's going to be fine. I posted earlier today that I was worried about Volquez today, and he didn't perform too well. If Axford doesn't blow this save, Volquez looks like even more of a fool than he does right now. While Edinson looked like he may be able to exercise some control, I still worry that his changeup isn't developed enough to get out the plethora of stud hitters on the Brew Crew.

Staying in the NL Central, I picked the Pads and the Cards to finish at the bottom of their respective divisions. Pujols obviously had an off game and he'll be completely fine, but Ryan Franklin might just be one year too old to be successful in this league, and I worry that he struggles this season. If you read my preseason preview you know that I don't worry near as much about the Cards bullpen as I do their rotation, and if they can't win Carpenter's starts, then this team might be in trouble. I don't view Cameron Maybin as any sort of fantasy sleeper this year, he just got a good pitch and he hit it well.

Gotta love Heyward going yard again this season. If Derek Lowe pitches like that the whole season, the Braves could win this game by 3+ games. I will be watching close to see what happens with the Phils offense tomorrow, but needless to say, I'm extremely concerned.

The last thing is Kershaw. I posted on twitter @TheKnurve that Kershaw was looking a lot like Koufax. Granted, I never saw Koufax, but Kershaw was just dominant. I said last year many times that the NL West comes down to bullpens in games like these, and the Dodgers were just a little better tonight. Great pitching is plethoric out West.

That Yankees offense got the timely hits they needed when they needed them. Tomorrow is the big day, to see how Burnett does on Saturday as these two squads have the day off tomorrow. I posted on Twitter that if Teixeira has a solid April, this team will be all the more scary for the rest of the season. Burnett had a solid spring, but I don't think Ivan Nova and Freddy Garcia scare people at all, and Burnett and Hughes have both shown they are extremely hittable.

Beautiful Opening Day. Follow me on Twitter @TheKnurve and don't be afraid to ask questions, I'd love to hear from the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment