Tuesday, April 5, 2011

America's Favorite Game...

Some may argue that baseball is America's favorite game. I might tend to agree, but there's one other game that might be even more fun to play: Is it real? Is it real is probably one of the greatest games of all time because it attempts to answer extremely difficult questions based off of extremely small sample-sizes.

Today I will be going through some of the notable performces both by teams and players to see if their performance thus far is real, it can be continued, or fake, they can't keep this up.

So without further due and in the wise words of Mos Def in his album Black on Both Sides here....we.....go....




Albert Pujols-- FAKE:: This is the one that I figured we should just get out of the way. He's struggled out of the gate thus far, and Matt Holliday being out for a bit won't help his matters too much. In my NL Central preview I had the audacity to have the Cards finish 4th in the division, and I still stand by that. But it won't be becuase Pujols is underperforming.

Brewers-- FAKE:: Conversely to the Cardinals, I picked the Brew Crew to win this division. I'm not concerned at all about their 0-4 start. I'd like to see their bullpen pitch a little better as Axford and Saito have both taken some pretty heart-breaking losses this season. Their offense is also a little slow going, but I won't take back my prediction for them to win the Central.

Nelson Cruz and Ian Kinsler-- REAL:: Obviously these two aren't going to combine to hit 300 Homers for the Rangers this season. But they are still extremely potent. I'm partial to Kinsler because he's Jewish, but he also happens to be a very good baseball player. I like Kinsler leading off a little bit in the first couple games to keep Elvis Andrus fresh. This offense is pretty electric and pretty dynamic. Cruz and Kinsler are the guys who can carry this offense, and they haven't even started running yet.

Minnesota-- REAL:: I think what they've done so far this year could be what we see from this team the whole season. I don't trust this pitching staff, I don't think Mauer and Morneau are healthy, and I don't think this team is capable of winning this division, especially after what the White Sox offense has done this season.

Tampa Bay -- REAL:: Just like the Twins, I just think this is a sub-par baseball team. Look at all that they lost and you will see that this team cannot compete in this division. At this point I don't see them turning it around unless they make some addition. Their pitching hasn't been great and their offense was simply embarrassing against the Orioles.

Brian Roberts-- REAL:: If this dude is healthy, he is still a great fantasy player. I think the fantasy owner who took him in double digit rounds or for low teens dollars will be extremely happy they got Roberts. He seems to be healthy and that offense around him is not too shabby at all. It's going to be exciting to see what this offenese does, and Roberts could score 100+ runs.

Jorge Posada-- REAL:: I honestly think that he was made to DH at this point. Yankee Stadium is such a bandbox and I think it'll be awesome to see what an old gonker like himself will do with this offense in front of him.

Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins-- FAKE:: They are 1 and 2, respectively in batting average in the NL, but I caution fantasy owners who are going bonkers over their performance thus far. Lest we not forget that they were playing the Astros who have one of the worst bullpens in the majors and most of those Phils games were won late. If I were to pick one, I would say Jimmy Rollins will have a better season, but I'm not too optimistic about him.

That's it for now... If you want to know if a team or somebody is real or fake, either comment on the site or tweet @theknurve and I will answer your question.

Thanks for reading! Tell your friends!

1 comment:

  1. When are you coming to Philly so we can go to a game? It'll give me an excuse to get out of the house! ;-)

    ReplyDelete