Sunday, May 16, 2010

How Great is Sunday Baseball???

I need not be the first to tell you how great all the day baseball on Sunday is. Something about day baseball makes everything seem so exciting. It's a day for some unlikely heroes to step up when some of the stars get days off after the previous day's night games.

Now that I've gotten my man-crush out of the way, here are some thoughts for Sundays game, both fantasy and non-fantasy. Speaking of non-fantasy, I think that because I try to mold the two together, I need to come up with a real word for non-fantasy. I don't want to say "real baseball" because it sounds funny. Either way:

- The Pirates have been extremely impressive thus far in their series with the Cubs. If they finish off the series today, it would be one of the more impressive sweeps of the weekend. I say that because if you look at McCutchen and Garret Jones, they are the reason that Pittsburgh is down 0-2 in this series if it were played last season. There's also something to be said about the Meek to Dotel combination that is saving those games.

- Even without Rollins, the Phillies are on another level in the NL. They have just embarrassed the Brewers in Milwaukee this weekend. The Brewers offense is pretty good as long as guys like Weeks stay healthy. But their starting pitching is just not that great. Gallardo has been phenomenal this season, but guys like Randy Wolf, Doug Davis, Chris Narveson, and Dave Bush don't scare me at all. If the Brewers somehow manage to be in earshot come mid-July, they could be one of the bigger pushers for better starting pitchers come the end of the trade deadline.

- I hate the one weekend of interleague play coming up next weekend.

- Matt Thornton looked pretty good in his 2-out save last night. I think he gets to 20 because Ozzie doesn't seem to trust Bobby Jenks too much.

- Oliver Perez is terrible.

- The Pat Burrell experiment in Tampa has proven to be extremely unsuccessful as he was sent down to the minors yesterday. It's a bummer that Burrells decline came with his change of scenery, but I think the Rays offense will be ok (that was me being sarcastic).

- I saw Date Night last night and I thought it was pretty good. I think Steve Carrel is the man, and Tina Fey's one liners are great. I also think Tina Fey is very attractive for a lady her age.

Enjoy the day baseball....

No comments:

Post a Comment