Sunday, May 16, 2010

Despite Today's Performance, I'm Still Not a Romero Fan....


http://infieldfly.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ricky-romero.jpg


The Time is Now...

...to sell high on Ricky Romero. Sometimes performances like this are nice if you own the pitcher, because it further enables your sell-high chances in fantasy because it showcases upside that you can market, even if the player doesn't actually have that upside. Don't get me wrong, Romero is good, but not this good.

I have two guys in the league I pay most attention to that I am trying to sell high on right now. Tim Hudson has gotten fairly lucky thus far keeping his ERA down. He is walking a lot of batters and hardly striking anybody out, which makes me really question if he's someone I should hold onto. The other guy I'm looking to deal is Jaime Garcia. These guys have been solid parts of my rotation, but Garcia and Romero fall into this "upside enigma" category that I think fantasy owners can exploit. Romero is only 25, and despite being drafted high, he doesn't have those stellar minor league stats that you would see in a guy who is striking out 12 guys on one of the best major league offenses. Given his past, you can only assume that this is a hot streak for Romero, but, just as they did last year, hitters will figure him out the second and third time they see him, which is why I'm selling high. Garcia's stats have to even out eventually. While I really want him to keep producing quality starts, I don't really think it will happen. He's doing everything right, all his numbers look good, but you have to ask yourself "Can he really be this good the whole year?" Obviously he won't finish with an ERA around 1.40, but he could be a solid sleeper that takes you far. That being said, I think there are some solid pitchers to be had that you might be able to buy low. The Josh Beckett's of the world being the main example.

Quick Hitters
- Andrew McCutchen is quite the dude. Another multi-hit game today. He is only 7 of 8 against the Cubs so far in this series, nothing major though.
- Adam Dunn is also a dude. 1 for 4 with a solo shot in both games of the Nats-Rockies double-header is not only Classic Adam Dunn, but further exemplifies his dude-ness. Adam Dunn is a big reason the Nats have been successful early on this year, and if he just does what he's been doing for the past 6 years, the Nats might not fall out of the playoff hunt until late July instead of late June this year.
- Brad Lidge goes on the DL. Ryan Madson doesn't know how to kick properly when frustrated. Enter... Jose Contreras? He's been lights out thus far and got out of a very sticky situation to save the game for the Phils. I'm glad I snatched him for the cheap 2 bucks out of my FAA Budget, I could be getting a ton of value. If you haven't picked up Contreras, do it. He could be the closer for the rest of the season for the Phils.
- Clayton Kershaw throws another quality start against the first-place San Diego Padres. Makes me wonder if he just ate something a little funky before his debacle against the Pirates a few weeks ago.
- In a fantasy season with 3rd base so weak this year, my 24th round pick of Troy Glaus is making me look good. A somewhat slow April, but he's hitting .362 in May and has driven in 14 batters, good for 4th among all hitters in the month of May.
- Grady Sizemore's really starting to piss me off, there's no way he's healthy.
- After killing my fantasy team last year, Jose Valverde has been lights out in Detroit. He could be a top 5 closer in the AL by the end of the year.


That's it for today. Goodnight everybody. Check back tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment